All you need to know about Job Descriptions
Job Descriptions are summaries of job analysis findings that helps managers determine what an employee is supposed to do when onboard. The purpose of job descriptions depends on the level of details the job findings include.
Job descriptions include detailed information about the kind of job, how it is supposed to be performed and what is expected to be delivered.
According to wikipedia a Job description or JD is a written narrative that describes the general tasks, or other related duties, and responsibilities of a position. It may specify the functionary to whom the position reports, specifications such as the qualifications or skills needed by the person in the job, information about the equipment, tools and work aids used, working conditions, physical demands, and a salary range.
- Job Title is the name of the post vacant
- Job Location is the branch of the company where the candidate will be posted after selection.
- Role refers to the arena of work and how the responsibilities are to be fulfilled, defined by the company.
Responsibilities and Duties is a list of various job-related activities which the candidate is supposed to perform and take account of his actions.
- Salary is the pay scale which the company is ready to offer for that particular job. It may or may not be negotiable.
- Incentives refer to commission and remuneration associated with the targets achieved.
- Allowances are the other benefits and expenses which the company pays on behalf of the candidate.
Advantages of Job descriptions
It is essential for the prospective candidates who are looking forward to associating with the company in the following ways:
- Job description clarifies what the company is and can offer to the candidates.
- It helps the candidate to become somewhat familiar with the workplace environment at a glance.
- It gives out a systematic overview of the vacant position and also specifies what the company wants from its employees.
Let us now summarize the above as follows:
- The job description defines role, responsibilities and duties to be performed on a job position.
- The need for preparing a job description arises when the job analysis is done. However, job specification is made by the details of a job description.
- The essential components of the job description are a job title, job location, role, responsibilities, duties, salary, incentives and allowances. On the contrary,
- The job description is the description of the job profile
- In other words, we can say that job description is the reflection of what the company is planning to offer to the candidate.
- For a human resource manager, job descriptions are tools for providing the necessary information about job positions.