Job Description For Sales Rep
Who is a Sales Representative ?
Sales Representatives sell products and services to customers either in an office environment or a store retail location. In each setting, they will primarily deal with either walk-in customers or source sales via email, cold calling, and lead follow-up calls.
- Communicating with customers, making outbound calls to potential customers and following up on leads.
- Understanding customers’ needs and identifying sales opportunities.
- Answering potential customers’ questions and sending additional information per email.
- Keeping up with product and service information and updates.
- Creating and maintaining a database of current and potential customers.
- Explaining and demonstrating features of products and services.
- Staying informed about competing products and services.
- Upselling products and services.
- Researching and qualifying new leads.
- Closing sales and achieving sales targets.
- BSc in business, marketing, economics or related field.
- Previous experience in an outbound call center or a related sales position preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and CRM software such as Salesforce.com.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to multitask.
- Excellent phone and cold calling skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Strong listening and sales skills.
- Ability to achieve targets.
Outside Sales Representatives close sales through face-to-face interaction with customers based within assigned sales territories. They meet with potential and existing customers to present sales proposals, inform them of product benefits and features, and negotiate prices.
- Building and sustaining long-lasting relationships with new and existing customers based within an assigned sales territory.
- Traveling within an assigned sales territory to conduct face-to-face meetings with existing and potential customers.
- Continually meeting or exceeding sales targets by selling company products to new and existing customers.
- Developing and implementing an effective sales strategy to drive sales.
- Maintaining an accurate record of all leads, customer accounts, and sales.
- Collaborating with the marketing department to expand brand presence through the creation of suitable marketing materials.
- Researching competitors’ products and pricing as well as market conditions.
- Keeping abreast of the latest industry developments by attending meetings, training workshops, and industry events.
- Strategically negotiating with potential and existing customers to close sales.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related field required
- 4+ years’ outside sales experience
- Must be willing to travel up to 50 percent of the time
- Strong computer skills and understanding of spreadsheet software
- Self-motivated and comfortable working with little to no direction
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
Sales representatives are responsible for selling a company’s products by identifying leads, educating prospects on products through calls, training, and presentations, and providing existing customers with exceptional support. Sales representatives are either inside or outside sales reps. Inside sales reps sell products over the phone and online, while outside sales reps sell products through face-to-face meetings. Sales reps span almost every industry. The best sales representatives understand the importance of strong customer service, have a knack for closing deals and are self assured.